Skip to main content

What is Treatment Resistant Depression?

First you need to be diagnosed with depression and have the symptoms of any kind of depression. If you tried treatment for your depression but symptoms never improved, you may have treatment-resistant depression. Taking an antidepressant or going to psychological counseling helps reduce symptoms for mamy people. But with treatment-resistant depression, standard treatments aren't enough. They may not help much at all, or may improve your symptoms, only for them to keep coming back. This shouldn't be confused with persistent depression, which requires you have had depression for at least two years [in a single span of time]. While many people with treatment resistant depression do have chronic or persistent depression, it typically isn't their main diagnosis. 

My personal experience is that medication does not help, from anxiety to depression to insomnia meds, and I've been in therapy for 6 years but it certainly hasnt relieved my symptoms to the point I'm functional. Even after two inpatient programs [partial hospitalizations] which did help a lot, my depression always came back full force within a year. The best thing I ever did for my mental health was TMS, and I still had my depression come back, which confirmed to everyone I have TRD. 

My one tip would be to consider pharmacogenetic testing. These tests check for specific genes that indicate how well your body can process (metabolize) a medication or how your depression might respond to a particular medication based on additional factors. Currently, pharmacogenetics tests are not a sure way to show if a medication will work for you, but these tests can provide important clues for treatment, particularly in people who have many side effects or have had poor results with certain medications. They are not always covered by insurance.

There are limited treatment options for TRD, and they all have pros & cons, but the efficacy rates of each are fairly good. There is TMS, what I am currently doing, as well as Ketamine Infusions, ECT [electrconvulsive therapy] and vagus nerve stimulation. Ketamine and TMS are usually the first options, sometimes used together. ECT is often only reccomended if TMS doesn't work or only gets a response [relief] but not remission [no symptoms]. Vagus nerve stimulation is typically a last resort if ECT, TMS, and ketamine doesn't work at all. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TMS vs SSRI Medications

Before I decided to pursue TMS, I did a lot of research. I am going to share that research here.  I also will quickly explain TMS therapy. TMS helps depression, anxiety, and other conditions by stimulating parts of the brain that are underactive and calming down parts of the brain that are over-active. It uses MRI strength magnetic pulses to do this. There have been studies of TMS for its positive impacts on depression, anxiety, OCD, smoking cessation, PTSD, stroke rehabilitation, schizophrenia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and it even can help chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Not all of these are FDA approved [such as the ones for Parkinsons and Alzheimers] but the future of TMS treatment is constantly changing and expanding! It is usually covered by insurance as long as your depression is treatment resistant and the TMS center has approved you as a patient. If antidepressants and psychotherapy don't work for you, Medicare will cover TMS ...

Comparing TMS Machines

An Introduction Apollo :  The Apollo TMS therapy system is developed and manufactured in Germany by Mag& More, a TMS specialist with more than 15 years of experience. Apollo is designed to make TMS therapy easy and intuitive to use for the operator. In May 2018, Apollo received FDA clearance for the 37.5 and 19 minutes treatment of Major Depressive Disorder [MDD] in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. Bransway Deep :  In January 2013, the FDA approved Deep TMS therapy developed by BrainsWay. Deep TMS therapy penetrates a deeper and boarder area of the brain than traditional TMS treatment. It treats adult patients suffering from Major Depressive Disorder who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement through various antidepressant medication treatments. In August of 2018, BrainsWay became the only TMS provider FDA-cleared for treatment of OCD using Deep TMS therapy. It...

Days 25 to 36 of TMS

Day 25 Today I was struggling to eat before treatment. My tech had been speaking with others and doing research to make sure it would be safe for me to skip eating or eat less before treatment. It was comforting to know I didn't have to force myself to eat.  Day 26 Today treatment went very smoothly today. We have a nice routine going. I usually come early, heat up my pop tart and eat it while we go through daily questions, then get in the chair and adjust myself. After that we put my favorite show on the TV and do high frequency [20 minutes] and low frequency [8 minutes] of treatment. Before we start there is always a test pulse which calibrates the machine.  Day 27 I did a MT check today, which is usual. They happen about once a week and there are fast or long ones on the neurostar machine. When it comes to the motor threshold you do have to report your daily meds & any med changes. However, only a small group of meds change your MT.  ...