Skip to main content

Depression Relapse and TMS Again

Trigger warning: self harm, suicidal thoughts [not graphic]
In 2022 my depression came back quick, and in full force. I didn't just have a full depressive episode, I had it with all my old self harming and suicidal thoughts. I'm already in therapy, and the meds don't work. It took months just to get a sleep med that helped my insomnia so I didn't plan to treat this with medication. I knew that for some people TMS only lasts around a year [could be more as well] so I decided to see if I could get TMS again. I contacted a TMS provider, filled out the forms, and we had a telehealth call to discuss them. After that they called to let me know I was approved on their end for TMS so they would send everything to insurance. Soon after that I was told insurance approved me and was fully covering it. 
We set a date, and I came in for my first treatment last Friday after waiting two weeks. I decided to document this journey with TMS to show people what it is, since its relatively unheard of. On my first day I came in and we did cortical mapping and a MT [motor threshold] check. This helps the doctor and TMS technician decide where, and at what power, to put the coil [magnet]. The doctor has to find the motor cortex which makes your hand move [but it doesn't hurt] then they move over a set amount to find the area of the brain they want to stimulate or calm down. This process is slightly different depending on the machine you have and which treatment you are getting. 
After that is all set up, we then d a test train [set of pulses] and if it feels good, we start my 18 minutes of TMS. During the treatment you need to try and be still so I like to bring a fidget toy. The TMS provider I went to both times has a TV so I watch Netflix during treatment but you can also be on your phone. They usually offer earplugs if you are sensitive to sound. The only things you should watch out for is if your hand moves and if the train hurts. If it hurts, the power is probably too high. If your hand moves, the coil is in the wrong location and they should stop and adjust. Let your tech know if your hand twitches during the pulse when you are doing treatment. It isn't a bad or dangerous thing, it just means they can make TMS more effective and comfortable for you. 
I will be documenting each day of TMS I do on this blog. I have photos and videos I will share and discuss and well as information on TMS. This time while I'm in TMS again I asked about what I would do if I need it a third time. I was told I would just contact them and apply like usual, and as long as I get remission from TMS I'll be able to do another round in the future. What is Treatment resistant depression


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TMS vs SSRI Medications

Before I decided to pursue TMS, I did a lot of research. I am going to share that research here.  I also will quickly explain TMS therapy. TMS helps depression, anxiety, and other conditions by stimulating parts of the brain that are underactive and calming down parts of the brain that are over-active. It uses MRI strength magnetic pulses to do this. There have been studies of TMS for its positive impacts on depression, anxiety, OCD, smoking cessation, PTSD, stroke rehabilitation, schizophrenia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and it even can help chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Not all of these are FDA approved [such as the ones for Parkinsons and Alzheimers] but the future of TMS treatment is constantly changing and expanding! It is usually covered by insurance as long as your depression is treatment resistant and the TMS center has approved you as a patient. If antidepressants and psychotherapy don't work for you, Medicare will cover TMS ...

Comparing TMS Machines

An Introduction Apollo :  The Apollo TMS therapy system is developed and manufactured in Germany by Mag& More, a TMS specialist with more than 15 years of experience. Apollo is designed to make TMS therapy easy and intuitive to use for the operator. In May 2018, Apollo received FDA clearance for the 37.5 and 19 minutes treatment of Major Depressive Disorder [MDD] in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. Bransway Deep :  In January 2013, the FDA approved Deep TMS therapy developed by BrainsWay. Deep TMS therapy penetrates a deeper and boarder area of the brain than traditional TMS treatment. It treats adult patients suffering from Major Depressive Disorder who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement through various antidepressant medication treatments. In August of 2018, BrainsWay became the only TMS provider FDA-cleared for treatment of OCD using Deep TMS therapy. It...

Days 25 to 36 of TMS

Day 25 Today I was struggling to eat before treatment. My tech had been speaking with others and doing research to make sure it would be safe for me to skip eating or eat less before treatment. It was comforting to know I didn't have to force myself to eat.  Day 26 Today treatment went very smoothly today. We have a nice routine going. I usually come early, heat up my pop tart and eat it while we go through daily questions, then get in the chair and adjust myself. After that we put my favorite show on the TV and do high frequency [20 minutes] and low frequency [8 minutes] of treatment. Before we start there is always a test pulse which calibrates the machine.  Day 27 I did a MT check today, which is usual. They happen about once a week and there are fast or long ones on the neurostar machine. When it comes to the motor threshold you do have to report your daily meds & any med changes. However, only a small group of meds change your MT.  ...