Skip to main content

A Year of Remission

For my first full round of TMS therapy, I was approved for 32 days of TMS for anxiety [which also helps depression] and I noticed small mood changes my the end of the 7th treatment. Things like having less anxiety and racing thoughts, laughing more, slightly better sleep, less fatigue, and more motivation. By the end of the 14th day I noticed some moderate mood changes, like reaching less to hypotheticals I would normally have anxiety about, and things happening in my real life making me happy. It was also easier to cope with mood swings and difficult days. By my 21st day, I noticed a much bigger difference in my quality of sleep as well as in my mood. I had a clarity of mind I had never experienced, and everything felt light and calm, for once. Every day after that- my mood got significantly better once I finished each treatment. I would notice that it was like watching storm clouds clear away and seeing a sunny blue sky after a long storm. I had more plans for my future, everybody around me said I smiled and laughed way more [and was more social]. I got more hobbies and began to feel excited for the rest of my life. By my last treatment the 32nd day, I felt like I had undergone a kind of metamorphasis and now had an entirely new life than I had before TMS. Things that I worried about in my head no longer caused breakdowns after ruminating about it for hours, I no longer self harmed to avoid the inexplicable existential dread I felt, I didn't need to lay in bed all day to get the energy to shower anymore because depression left me with no energy. I was now motivated, had a clear head, felt self assured and confident, and was grateful for every positive feeling and change in my life. This was a remission I had never achieved from PHPs/inpatient programs, years of therapy, or any type or strength of medication. This was a remission I had never achieved in both length and quality before, with no side effects at all. For only 30 minutes a day for 32 days, I achieved a whole year of much needed relief. During this year I wrote, made art, started projects, hosted workshops, participated in activism, traveled, socialized, and worked on myself. I was able to live a life I never imagined. 





In my next post I will explain the benefits and risks of TMS and compare it to traditional SSRI medications. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TMS vs SSRI Medications

Before I decided to pursue TMS, I did a lot of research. I am going to share that research here.  I also will quickly explain TMS therapy. TMS helps depression, anxiety, and other conditions by stimulating parts of the brain that are underactive and calming down parts of the brain that are over-active. It uses MRI strength magnetic pulses to do this. There have been studies of TMS for its positive impacts on depression, anxiety, OCD, smoking cessation, PTSD, stroke rehabilitation, schizophrenia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and it even can help chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Not all of these are FDA approved [such as the ones for Parkinsons and Alzheimers] but the future of TMS treatment is constantly changing and expanding! It is usually covered by insurance as long as your depression is treatment resistant and the TMS center has approved you as a patient. If antidepressants and psychotherapy don't work for you, Medicare will cover TMS ...

Comparing TMS Machines

An Introduction Apollo :  The Apollo TMS therapy system is developed and manufactured in Germany by Mag& More, a TMS specialist with more than 15 years of experience. Apollo is designed to make TMS therapy easy and intuitive to use for the operator. In May 2018, Apollo received FDA clearance for the 37.5 and 19 minutes treatment of Major Depressive Disorder [MDD] in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. Bransway Deep :  In January 2013, the FDA approved Deep TMS therapy developed by BrainsWay. Deep TMS therapy penetrates a deeper and boarder area of the brain than traditional TMS treatment. It treats adult patients suffering from Major Depressive Disorder who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement through various antidepressant medication treatments. In August of 2018, BrainsWay became the only TMS provider FDA-cleared for treatment of OCD using Deep TMS therapy. It...

Days 25 to 36 of TMS

Day 25 Today I was struggling to eat before treatment. My tech had been speaking with others and doing research to make sure it would be safe for me to skip eating or eat less before treatment. It was comforting to know I didn't have to force myself to eat.  Day 26 Today treatment went very smoothly today. We have a nice routine going. I usually come early, heat up my pop tart and eat it while we go through daily questions, then get in the chair and adjust myself. After that we put my favorite show on the TV and do high frequency [20 minutes] and low frequency [8 minutes] of treatment. Before we start there is always a test pulse which calibrates the machine.  Day 27 I did a MT check today, which is usual. They happen about once a week and there are fast or long ones on the neurostar machine. When it comes to the motor threshold you do have to report your daily meds & any med changes. However, only a small group of meds change your MT.  ...