Skip to main content

Days 11-15 of TMS Therapy

Day 11
Since I did not do treatment on Friday, this was my Day 11. I was a little restless during treatment, but fidgeting a little is fine as long as I do not move enough to loose coil contact. If you fidget a lot, moving your hands and legs is fine just do not move your neck/head too much since it could change the coil angle. I always bring my favorite fidget toy to treatment, and also some treatment centers have basic fidgets like stress balls you can use. This weekend I noticed more subtle changes from TMS its easier to stand up for myself and face my fears. 
Day 12
Today I was very tired during treatment. I was curious if anybody ever managed to sleep during treatment and asked my TMS tech. Apparently there are no studies on how/if sleep impacts the TMS treatment so if you fall asleep they will wake you up, and if you are sleep deprived they will cancel treatment [for multiple reasons]. Due to this, if you consistently get less than 5 hours of sleep at night I would suggest you do not do TMS until your insomnia is better controlled. 
Day 13
Today treatment went well and very fast. I've been at full power for a while and at this point I'm very used to the sensation of the train of pulses. I have not had any side effects so far. I discussed the pros and cons of the two main treatments for treatment resistant depression with a friend who has had both today, and wanted to share parts of that discussion.

Ketamine infusions work very quickly — often within hours — to ease depressive symptoms. This is very different from TMS where impacts of treatment can be felt a week or later from treatment. For the average patient, ketamine infusion therapy consists of a series of six infusions spaced out over the course of two or three weeks. This initial treatment is followed by a long-term maintenance phase that includes occasional booster infusions as needed. The time frame of the treatment is slightly shorter, and also you don't have to do in every day like if you are doing TMS therapy. For efficacy, several studies indicate that over half of people with treatment resistant depression achieve significant symptom relief after a single infusion, and many more find relief after the full course of infusions. A ketamine infusion for depression may take as little as 45 minutes, but once your infusion ends, you’ll have time to recover before going home- and you should also avoid driving or strenuous activity for about 48 hours after your infusion. The time frame of a ketamine infusion is slightly longer than an average TMS treatment, not including the recovery time. Ketamine therapy has unique side effects, such as dissasociation. A major difference is that Ketamine Therapy is not covered by insurance, unlike TMS therapy. Check out my longer blog comparing the two treatments. Ketamine vs TMS
Day 14
Today I wanted to explain the different parts of the TMS machine, using the neurostar as an example. While it looks confusing at first, there are a few main parts to the machine: a head support, a small alignment mechanism with a laser, the coil, and the computer which controls the treatment. This is all attached to the chair that looks like a dental chair. Here are two attached color coded photos. The coil is red, the computer is green, the head support is orange, and the alignment arm is yellow. Learn More About TMS
Day 15
Today I had treatment and re-mapping with is a repeat of the cortical mapping you do on your first day. This process also includes an MT check and basically ensures the coil is at optimal power and position for effectiveness and comfort. What is Brain Mapping While during treatment, hand movement is something that shouldn't happen, with Brian mapping hand movements is what they are hoping to stimulate [because they are targeting the motor cortex not other areas of the brain that are targeted during treatment] so don't worry when that occurs. We adjusted my seat and headrest position and got a seat cushion so I don't strain my back, then did the re-mapping which goes through different power levels and coordinates/coil angles to determine the most effective setting for your treatment at this point in time. When we started treatment I had some hand movements, so we adjusted. They persisted, so we did one more adjustment. At first I still had slight hand movements but then they went away on their own, which apparently is normal. I also learned holding your right hand up will accentuate any movements and sometimes cause hand movements when there normally wouldn't be any. So, multiple factors go into hand movements. Also its normal to have slight eye twitches during a pulse, but it may go away throughout treatment [and it isn't painful]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TMS vs SSRI Medications

Before I decided to pursue TMS, I did a lot of research. I am going to share that research here.  I also will quickly explain TMS therapy. TMS helps depression, anxiety, and other conditions by stimulating parts of the brain that are underactive and calming down parts of the brain that are over-active. It uses MRI strength magnetic pulses to do this. There have been studies of TMS for its positive impacts on depression, anxiety, OCD, smoking cessation, PTSD, stroke rehabilitation, schizophrenia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and it even can help chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Not all of these are FDA approved [such as the ones for Parkinsons and Alzheimers] but the future of TMS treatment is constantly changing and expanding! It is usually covered by insurance as long as your depression is treatment resistant and the TMS center has approved you as a patient. If antidepressants and psychotherapy don't work for you, Medicare will cover TMS ...

Comparing TMS Machines

An Introduction Apollo :  The Apollo TMS therapy system is developed and manufactured in Germany by Mag& More, a TMS specialist with more than 15 years of experience. Apollo is designed to make TMS therapy easy and intuitive to use for the operator. In May 2018, Apollo received FDA clearance for the 37.5 and 19 minutes treatment of Major Depressive Disorder [MDD] in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. Bransway Deep :  In January 2013, the FDA approved Deep TMS therapy developed by BrainsWay. Deep TMS therapy penetrates a deeper and boarder area of the brain than traditional TMS treatment. It treats adult patients suffering from Major Depressive Disorder who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement through various antidepressant medication treatments. In August of 2018, BrainsWay became the only TMS provider FDA-cleared for treatment of OCD using Deep TMS therapy. It...

Days 25 to 36 of TMS

Day 25 Today I was struggling to eat before treatment. My tech had been speaking with others and doing research to make sure it would be safe for me to skip eating or eat less before treatment. It was comforting to know I didn't have to force myself to eat.  Day 26 Today treatment went very smoothly today. We have a nice routine going. I usually come early, heat up my pop tart and eat it while we go through daily questions, then get in the chair and adjust myself. After that we put my favorite show on the TV and do high frequency [20 minutes] and low frequency [8 minutes] of treatment. Before we start there is always a test pulse which calibrates the machine.  Day 27 I did a MT check today, which is usual. They happen about once a week and there are fast or long ones on the neurostar machine. When it comes to the motor threshold you do have to report your daily meds & any med changes. However, only a small group of meds change your MT.  ...