Skip to main content

Days 20 to 24 of TMS

Day 20
Today I got up to 110% which was really good, and my hand movements were almost nonexistent! We started on a slightly lower power setting and slowly worked up to 120% power, which is where I was the week before last. I was talking to my TMS tech about training and found out some pretty cool things! We filled up more PHQ 9 & GAD 7 forms today to track my depression and anxiety and its definitely getting better. My depression went from 24 [severe] to 18 [moderately severe] to 13 [moderate] in 20 days. My anxiety went from 20 [severe] to 10 [moderate] to 12 [moderate] in 20 days! 
If you're worried about safety when it comes to TMS, this may comfort you: TMS technicians [who see with patients during every treatment] must be certified in CPR and basic life support. They know what to do in case of a seizure, they can operate a defibrillator, give CPR, and deal with other life threatening emergencies and serious side effects of TMS. Also my tech told me if you are nervous about treatment you can ask your tech to show you what the different sounds the machine makes are and familiarize you with the parts so it seems less complicated and intimidating. 

Day 21
Today I continued on 120% power after a quick MT check [there are fast versions and a longer version] and had no hand movements. Usually you will check your motor threshold every week, or if you are having more sensitivity to treatment/increased hand movements. 
Day 22
This week has gone a lot more smoothly, I have been much less sensitive to the treatment and haven't had any hand movenent. I have no side effects so far. Sometimes during treatment the coil will be adjusted to assure proper contact. I got a question about repeat treatments and maintenance treatment so I will address it today, and possibly make a blog about it. Talk to your TMS provider if you think maintenance doses are right for you. Maintenance treatment can past as long as the patient wishes and can pay, and as long as a provider agrees it is necessary. However, they aren't covered by insurance so be aware of that. Repeat treatments are usually done and approved by insurance after a complete remission, and is another full treatment after a year or more of your last round of TMS. 
Day 23
Treatment today went very smoothly. I have been struggling to eat before my appointment due to a chronic GI condition and the tech has been in contact with the provider to make sure I dont have to force myself to eat [and make myself sick] before TMS. The end of this week I had a lot less sensitivity to the treatment and absolutely no hand movement. 
Day 24
On Fridays sometimes I will fill out forms to check on my progress of mental health symptoms. Since we had the redetermination [re-mapping] and added a cushion, aligning myself has been so much faster and easier. If you have any issues or concerns bring it up with your TMS tech, they can/will do a lot for your comfort and have a lot of training! At the end of our appointment we always make sure my schedule for the next week is correct. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TMS vs SSRI Medications

Before I decided to pursue TMS, I did a lot of research. I am going to share that research here.  I also will quickly explain TMS therapy. TMS helps depression, anxiety, and other conditions by stimulating parts of the brain that are underactive and calming down parts of the brain that are over-active. It uses MRI strength magnetic pulses to do this. There have been studies of TMS for its positive impacts on depression, anxiety, OCD, smoking cessation, PTSD, stroke rehabilitation, schizophrenia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and it even can help chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Not all of these are FDA approved [such as the ones for Parkinsons and Alzheimers] but the future of TMS treatment is constantly changing and expanding! It is usually covered by insurance as long as your depression is treatment resistant and the TMS center has approved you as a patient. If antidepressants and psychotherapy don't work for you, Medicare will cover TMS ...

Comparing TMS Machines

An Introduction Apollo :  The Apollo TMS therapy system is developed and manufactured in Germany by Mag& More, a TMS specialist with more than 15 years of experience. Apollo is designed to make TMS therapy easy and intuitive to use for the operator. In May 2018, Apollo received FDA clearance for the 37.5 and 19 minutes treatment of Major Depressive Disorder [MDD] in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. Bransway Deep :  In January 2013, the FDA approved Deep TMS therapy developed by BrainsWay. Deep TMS therapy penetrates a deeper and boarder area of the brain than traditional TMS treatment. It treats adult patients suffering from Major Depressive Disorder who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement through various antidepressant medication treatments. In August of 2018, BrainsWay became the only TMS provider FDA-cleared for treatment of OCD using Deep TMS therapy. It...

Days 25 to 36 of TMS

Day 25 Today I was struggling to eat before treatment. My tech had been speaking with others and doing research to make sure it would be safe for me to skip eating or eat less before treatment. It was comforting to know I didn't have to force myself to eat.  Day 26 Today treatment went very smoothly today. We have a nice routine going. I usually come early, heat up my pop tart and eat it while we go through daily questions, then get in the chair and adjust myself. After that we put my favorite show on the TV and do high frequency [20 minutes] and low frequency [8 minutes] of treatment. Before we start there is always a test pulse which calibrates the machine.  Day 27 I did a MT check today, which is usual. They happen about once a week and there are fast or long ones on the neurostar machine. When it comes to the motor threshold you do have to report your daily meds & any med changes. However, only a small group of meds change your MT.  ...