Skip to main content

My Story

Trigger Warnings: self harm, suicide, hospitalization, inpatient programs 

I have had chronic, treatment resistant Depression and Anxiety, for as long as I can remember. I have also had PTSD and Insomnia since middle school. This combination of mental health issues has mad it very difficult to function and I have struggled with self harm and suicidal ideation from the age of 12, maybe 10. I have had multiple suicide attempts from middle school to high school and college. When I was in college, I started getting therapy and trying medications. I went on medical leave due to depression in 2017 and did my first inpatient program, a PHP, in 2017 or early 2018 and while it helped me learn a lot I ended up continuing to struggle with mental health for the next few years. As I struggled to find the right meds, and became very familiar with common therapy skills, I went on another medical leave in 2019 and entered my second PHP after a lot of personal life changes that triggered a huge relapse in self harm in 2021. During this PHP, I started looking into new and non-medication options to treat depression and anxiety and decided I wanted to try TMS therapy [transcranial magnetic stimulation therapy] which is mainly for severe and treatment resistant depression/mental illnesses. My case manager helped me find a TMS provider and I started TMS while inpatient. This is my story of TMS, which helped me get a full year of remission from depression and anxiety. I am now doing my 2nd full session of TMS one year later, and documenting the entire process to demystify the process of treating depression. what is treatment resistant depression

emil with a TMS machine, he has on a blue cap and is by the helmet style coil


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

TMS vs SSRI Medications

Before I decided to pursue TMS, I did a lot of research. I am going to share that research here.  I also will quickly explain TMS therapy. TMS helps depression, anxiety, and other conditions by stimulating parts of the brain that are underactive and calming down parts of the brain that are over-active. It uses MRI strength magnetic pulses to do this. There have been studies of TMS for its positive impacts on depression, anxiety, OCD, smoking cessation, PTSD, stroke rehabilitation, schizophrenia, Parkinsons and Alzheimers, and it even can help chronic pain conditions like fibromyalgia and multiple sclerosis. Not all of these are FDA approved [such as the ones for Parkinsons and Alzheimers] but the future of TMS treatment is constantly changing and expanding! It is usually covered by insurance as long as your depression is treatment resistant and the TMS center has approved you as a patient. If antidepressants and psychotherapy don't work for you, Medicare will cover TMS ...

Comparing TMS Machines

An Introduction Apollo :  The Apollo TMS therapy system is developed and manufactured in Germany by Mag& More, a TMS specialist with more than 15 years of experience. Apollo is designed to make TMS therapy easy and intuitive to use for the operator. In May 2018, Apollo received FDA clearance for the 37.5 and 19 minutes treatment of Major Depressive Disorder [MDD] in adult patients who have failed to receive satisfactory improvement from prior antidepressant medication in the current episode. Bransway Deep :  In January 2013, the FDA approved Deep TMS therapy developed by BrainsWay. Deep TMS therapy penetrates a deeper and boarder area of the brain than traditional TMS treatment. It treats adult patients suffering from Major Depressive Disorder who have failed to achieve satisfactory improvement through various antidepressant medication treatments. In August of 2018, BrainsWay became the only TMS provider FDA-cleared for treatment of OCD using Deep TMS therapy. It...

Days 25 to 36 of TMS

Day 25 Today I was struggling to eat before treatment. My tech had been speaking with others and doing research to make sure it would be safe for me to skip eating or eat less before treatment. It was comforting to know I didn't have to force myself to eat.  Day 26 Today treatment went very smoothly today. We have a nice routine going. I usually come early, heat up my pop tart and eat it while we go through daily questions, then get in the chair and adjust myself. After that we put my favorite show on the TV and do high frequency [20 minutes] and low frequency [8 minutes] of treatment. Before we start there is always a test pulse which calibrates the machine.  Day 27 I did a MT check today, which is usual. They happen about once a week and there are fast or long ones on the neurostar machine. When it comes to the motor threshold you do have to report your daily meds & any med changes. However, only a small group of meds change your MT.  ...